The mission of 1in6 is to help men who have had unwanted or abusive sexual experiences live healthier, happier lives. 1in6's mission also includes serving family members, friends, partners, and service providers by providing information and support resources on the web and in the community.
Researchers estimate that at least 1 in 6 men have had unwanted sexual experiences, including abuse and assault. This is likely a low estimate, since it doesn’t include non-contact experiences, and because men are less likely to disclose their experiences due to the stigma, silence, and myths around the issue.
1in6 offers a wide range of information and services for men with histories of unwanted or abusive sexual experiences, and anyone who cares about them. Some of the organization's resources include:
- A 24/7 online helpline where men and the people who care about them can chat one-on-one with a trained advocate.
- Free and confidential weekly online support groups for men who have experienced sexual abuse or assault.
- A wealth of useful information on topics related to male sexual abuse and assault, including answers to common questions.
- Trauma-informed trainings and webinars for service providers and organizations around the world.
- Male Survivor Stories, a collection of portraits, videos, and written narratives of male survivors of sexual abuse and assault.
Click here for an interview with 1in6's Executive Director Steve LePore.
Social Innovation Fast Pitch, 2013
# of employees:
Nonprofit (donations + earned income)